Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sour Cherry Icecream

I love cherries! When I was little I used to pretend to be a cherry leader and sing ""cherry! cherry! waa waa waa!" (yep I was the chearleader for cherries... I must have been inspired by strawberry shortcake) Since it's summer the cherries are ripe and delicious and in effort to savor every single one I made cherry ice cream! (I didn't want the small amount left in the bowl to go bad) mmmmm! Homemade ice cream is the BEST and it so easy to make.

I used this recipe from 101cookbooks...


Batch Family Mountain Cherry Choconut Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups sliced Bing, Lapin or Sweetheart cherries
1 pint whipping cream
1 pint half and half
2 egg yolks (hs note: to eliminate risk of food poisoning from raw eggs, use pasteurized eggs product for this recipe)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped raw almonds
1/2 cup shaved dark chocolate (or to taste)

Whisk whipping cream, half and half, egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add cherries and stir. Chill mixture for 30 minutes in freezer. Pour into ice cream maker canister. Run machine until mixture reaches milkshake consistency. Add almonds and chocolate and mix until they're incorporated. Continue running machine until ice cream reaches desired consistency.


I left out the almonds and chocolate.. only because I was lazy and didn't feel like chopping the chocolate and almonds. This recipe is great.. and the cherries are nice and tangy next to the sweet ice cream!
photo from food and paper

No comments: